Friday, November 26, 2010

Bike Mod

I was lucky enough to have coach see me ride a few weeks ago and she told me something interesting last week. She said I don't look "comfortable" on the bike. She asked me if I was and I didn't know how to answer. I guess I'm comfortable considering I'm sitting my big ole' butt on a little 3 inch bicycle seat and considering I'm hunched over like the hunchback of Notre Dame. But seriously, the only reason I thought I might be comfortable is that I don't really know what comfortable means. Anyway, she said that my hips and knees are flailing out on the 12 o'clock side and that I may need a shorter crankset. My current one is 175 mm and Gaye suggested I go to a 165.

Trusting Gaye completely, I ordered a new cranset and bottom bracket. I had no idea how kind of expensive this mod would be. I'll put it this way, In the old days, I could have bought the whole family each a new bicycle for what this costs. But Gaye insists that without this, I'm not going to be able biomechanically to ride further than 50 or 60 miles and not be injured.

So, I'm going with a SRAM Red crankset.



and a SRAM Blackbox GXP BB with ceramic bearings. SMOOTH!!!



Hopefully, I'm all set now.

No comments:

Post a Comment